Central-Ohio Singers' District
Article I ‑ Name and Purpose
The name of this Organization is the "ZENTRAL-OHIO SÄNGERBEZIRK" or "CENTRAL-OHIO SINGERS' DISTRICT.”
This Organization is the Central-Ohio District of the Nord-Amerikanischer Sängerbund or North American Singers' Association. It is the coordinating organization for the promotion and advancement of German Song, culture, customs, traditions and development of closer relationships between the Member Choruses of the District. Through District Song Festivals, Meetings and District Workshops it aims to bond and enhance cooperation between choruses, and aid those choruses in promoting Song.
This District takes no position on religious or political questions. It is organized as a not-for-profit organization.
Article II ‑ Membership
Membership in this District is open to any chorus in Ohio or an adjoining State that upholds the purposes of the District.
All Member Choruses have the obligation to fully participate in all the activities of this District, including hosting the Song Festival and District Workshop in their city. It is the duty of each Member Chorus of this District to advance the purposes and aims of this District. Member Choruses are required to elevate the musical reputation of this District to the best of their ability, particularly through attendance at District Song Festivals.
Any chorus seeking membership in the District may request membership in writing to the Corresponding Secretary. This petition for membership shall include the name and address of the chorus, a brief history of the chorus, names and addresses of officers, number of Active Singers, and payment of annual dues for each singer. This payment is refundable if membership is denied.
All applications for Membership in this District shall bear the written recommendation of a Member Chorus in good standing in this District. Candidates for Membership will be admitted upon a two‑thirds majority vote of the voting Officers present at a Board of Directors’ Meeting. Representatives of Candidates for admission to Membership must be present at the time of the vote regarding their admission.
Newly admitted choruses shall join the North American Singers' Association within two years of admission to Membership in the District.
Member Choruses may resign from this District through written notification to the Corresponding Secretary.
The Financial Secretary shall notify, in writing, any Member Chorus that is three months' delinquent in the payment of any fees and dues. If the Member Chorus remains delinquent after thirty days from the date of this notification, the Member Chorus shall be removed from the rolls of Membership in this District.
Member Choruses can be removed from Membership in this District if their conduct becomes an embarrassment to this District. All petitions for removal shall bear the recommendation of two Member Choruses in good standing in this District. Candidates for removal will be removed upon a two‑thirds majority vote of the voting delegates present at a General Meeting. It is not necessary that a Member Chorus subject to removal from Membership be represented at the General Meeting at the time of the vote on its removal.
Article III ‑ Governance
The power and authority of this District shall be exercised at General and Special Meetings of delegates of each Member Chorus. These meetings are to be called and held in conformity with civil laws and the provisions of the Bylaws of this District. There shall be a General Meeting, held at least one month prior to the District Song Festival, to elect Directors to serve for the next three years, to select a host city for the next District Song Festival, and to act on any other matters that may come before the delegates. The General Meeting shall replace the District Workshop for that year.
The affairs of this District shall be conducted at General Meetings or Special Meetings of delegates of the Member Choruses. Each Member Chorus is entitled to be represented by one delegate per ten active singers, or portion thereof. Delegates are to be elected or appointed by Member Choruses according to the procedures of each Member Chorus.
The President shall have power to call Special Meetings of the Member Choruses and is required to do so upon the written request to the Corresponding Secretary of one‑third of the Member Choruses or three members of the Board of Directors. Member Choruses shall be notified not less than thirty days before that Meeting.
Article IV ‑ Board of Directors
The executive power of this District is placed with a Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is composed of Directors elected at the General Meeting and the immediate Past President (or prior Past President if the immediate Past President did not complete his term or is not available to serve).
The Board of Directors shall meet at least once, annually, between and before General Meetings, to conduct the business affairs of the District; or upon the call of the President.
The Officers of this District are: President; Vice President for Men's Affairs; Vice President for Ladies' Affairs; Corresponding Secretary; Financial Secretary; Treasurer; and Four Trustees.
The Board of Directors shall be elected by secret ballot at the General Meeting of the membership. Each is elected to a three-year term, or until replaced at a General Meeting. They shall take Office at the conclusion of the District Song Festival following election. Each candidate for election must be a delegate and be present at the General Meeting, except for emergency illness or death in the family.
A plurality of votes cast shall elect a candidate. Only an active singer of a Member chorus may be a Director of this District.
The Directors will meet immediately after the General Meeting to choose Officers from themselves.
The President shall have power to call Meetings of the Board of Directors and is required to do so upon the written request to the Corresponding Secretary of one‑third of the Member Choruses or three members of the Board of Directors. The Corresponding Secretary shall notify members of the Board of Directors two weeks before the meeting.
Article V ‑ Duties of Officers
1. The President shall preside at all Meetings of this District and perform all other duties usually belonging to the Office. The President shall be an ex officio member of all committees. The President shall be empowered to discuss matters of interest with Member Choruses at their rehearsals, performances or business meetings to obtain direction for the benefit of this District. The President shall appoint all committees and shall fill vacancies within the Board of Directors. The President shall be the delegate from this District to the triennial Sängertag of the North American Singers' Association. Vacancies in the office of President shall be filled by a vote of the Board of Directors. The President may serve a maximum of two sequential three-year terms.
2. The Vice Presidents shall assist the President in the performance of the President's duties and shall perform the duties of the President in the absence of the President. In the event of the President's inability to serve, the Vice Presidents shall choose among themselves a President pro tempore to call a meeting of the Board of Directors, to choose a successor to the President.
3. The Corresponding Secretary shall keep accurate minutes of the proceedings of all Meetings and the Executive Board; carry on the correspondence of this District; keep and publish an exact membership list of Member Choruses; receive petitions for membership from potential member choruses, letters of resignation from Member Choruses, and requests for Special Meetings. The Corresponding Secretary shall receive all petitions for changes to these Bylaws and mail them to each member of the Board of Directors and to the Member Choruses within sixty days of receipt. The Corresponding Secretary shall notify Member Choruses of the number of delegates at the General Meeting to which they are entitled.
4. The Financial Secretary shall invoice each Member Chorus for any fees and dues; receive all fees and dues from Member Choruses and shall forward them to the Treasurer. The Financial Secretary shall maintain records of the membership accounts of each of the Member Choruses; give a report at the General Meeting and provide the status of Membership. The Financial Secretary shall notify, in writing, any Member Chorus who is in arrears of fees and dues beyond three months.
5. The Treasurer shall maintain depository accounts for all moneys received; pay all orders on the Treasury; keep an accurate record of receipts and disbursements; submit written reports of the financial assets at General Meetings of the membership and perform all other duties usually belonging to the Office.
6. The Trustees shall constitute the Nominating and Elections Committee of this District and shall present a slate of nominees for Directors and other elected positions to be elected at the General Meeting. The Trustees shall serve as the Audit Committee for this District and shall furnish a complete report of finances to the Member Choruses at the General Meeting. The Trustees may appoint assistants to assist in this task. The Trustees are responsible for the care and maintenance of the Flag of this District.
Directors shall not be paid; however, they shall be reimbursed for actual expenses incurred on behalf of this District.
Article VI ‑ Fees and Dues
The Board of Directors shall recommend fees and dues to the delegates. The delegates present shall set the level of any fees and dues at a General Meeting. Annual dues will be collected between October 31 and December 31 for the following year.
Article VII ‑ Quorum and Rules of Order
Business of this District may not be conducted with fewer than one‑third of the potential voting delegates present at a General Meeting. Business of this District may not be conducted with fewer than six Directors present at a Board of Directors’ Meeting.
In all General and Special Meetings, delegates are expected to conduct themselves in an orderly manner. They are expected to obtain permission from the Chair before rising to speak. Robert's Rules of Order are recognized as the Rules of Order, as revised, for this District, except where in conflict with the Bylaws of this District.
Article VIII ‑ Order of Business
At all General Meetings, the order of business shall be:
a. Pledge of Allegiance
b. Roll Call of Delegates and Officers
c. Reading of the Minutes
d. Application and Admission of Member Choruses and other Membership action
e. Reports and Information from Officers
f. Reports of Committees
g. Reading of Correspondence
h. Unfinished Business
I. New Business
j. Good and Welfare and Calendar
k. Selection of a host city for next District Song Festival
k. Election of Directors
Article IX - District Song Festival
A District Song Festival shall take place in May or June every three years and shall be hosted by (a) Member Chorus(es). Member Choruses shall make their wish to host the District Song Festival known in writing to the Corresponding Secretary at the General Meeting of the District.
Each host city will appoint or elect a Song Festival Committee to be in charge of the business affairs and arrangements for the Song Festival. The President or Chairperson of this Committee shall be invited to all Meetings of the District.
The Song Festival Committee and Board of Directors shall have responsibility to ensure that matters and arrangements are carried out properly. The Song Festival Committee shall elect or appoint a Music Committee to select appropriate music to be performed at the Song Festival. The Song Festival Committee shall publish the music to be sung, at least one year before the Song Festival.
The Song Festival Committee, upon request to the Treasurer, may obtain a loan of $500 from the funds of this District.
The Song Festival Committee will be responsible for housing and caring for the Flag of the District until the next District Song Festival.
Article X -District Workshop
A District Workshop shall take place in April of each year, except the year in which the District Song Festival is held. Member Choruses shall make their wish to host the District Workshop known in writing to the Corresponding Secretary at the preceding District Workshop.
Article XI - National Music Committee
In conjunction with the District Workshop immediately preceding the General Meeting, the Music Directors of each of the Member Choruses in the District shall select from among themselves the District’s representative to the Music Committee of the North American Singers’ Association. That representative will serve as the chair or facilitator of meetings of the Music Directors.
Article XII - Bylaws Change
Proposed amendments to these Bylaws may be made by written petition of one-third of the Member Choruses or by the Board of Directors. Proposed amendments must be sent to the Corresponding Secretary at least six months before the Meeting to consider the amendments. Proposed amendments can be adopted at a General Meeting or a Special Meeting called to consider amendments. A two‑thirds majority vote of the voting delegates present shall cause the amendments to be adopted.
I, Wolfgang H. Wengler, as Secretary of the Central-Ohio Singers’ District, certify that these Bylaws were approved by a majority vote of the delegates present at a meeting held on May 19, 2002 in Youngstown, Ohio.